Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Old Filth by Jane Gardam



Every Tuesday Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. I am currently between books as I finished both the book and e-book that I was reading yesterday. I think I am going to read Old Filth by Jane Gardam next because M. L. Stedman told me to.

Old Filth (Old Filth, #1)

The Benchers' luncheon-room of the Inner Temple. Light pours through the long windows upon polished table, silver, glass. A number of Judges and Benchers finishing lunch. One chair has recently been vacated and the Benchers are looking at it.

The Queen's Remembrancer: I suppose we all know who that was?
Junior judge: I've no idea.
Senior judge: It seemed to be a famous face.
The Common Sergeant: It was Old Filth.

-----

This book was recommended by M. L. Stedman (author of The Light Between Oceans) in a talk she gave in Kansas City last year. Well, she recommended the whole series really. I cannot say that a book about an old British colonial lawyer reminiscing about his past appeals to me, but I feel like I have to give it a shot.

As an aside, I liked the cover at first, but what is going on with that guy? Is that his skeleton?

What do you think? Have you read it? What are you reading this week?

5 comments:

  1. I can't say that opener grabs me and neither does the cover. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very curious to read more -- it's been on my TBR list for several years (I even own it); enjoy and thanks for participating this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about this….seems a bit out there for me. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this up at a used book sale last year, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete