Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday Salon - 4/20/14

Happy Easter!

Here it is not even noon on Easter and our holiday is over. The eggs have been found. The baskets have been plundered. There's no church to attend, no family to visit, no meals to consume. My husband's family celebrates Easter the night before. This tradition began as a way to make it easier for everyone to attend, but for those of us with only one side of the family to visit (sort of), it leaves Easter Sunday feeling a little empty. Maybe it's time to invent our own traditions.

We do have one Easter tradition of note. In our house, we hollow our eggs before we decorate them. I use a thumb tack to poke holes in both ends of the egg, stir up the innards with a toothpick to break up the yoke and make it easier to expel, then use a cheap basketball pump to blow them out. After that, I use an oral syringe with thin tubing attached to inject hot soapy water to clean it out, then I microwave the empty shells for 30 seconds to dry them off. I put them on a little cotton pad to keep them from spinning all over the microwave, then I put the line the egg carton with cotton to collect any additional drips.



These pictures are actually a few years old, but you get the general idea. We actually tried the shaving cream thing this year, and it was okay. The kids were not as enthusiastic as I anticipated. Just call them old school, I guess.


This week in reading, I finished two books.

The Husband's Secret

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty is this month's in-person book club read. Judging from the number of reviews on Amazon, half the reading public has already read it. If not, then I will just say that it is a great book club read. It is similar in theme to both The Dinner by Hermann Koch and Defending Jacob by William Landay, but with a less sinister, more character-driven sensibility (and no bad science!!). I did not love it, and I have my complaints, but I think lots of people will really enjoy it. Just maybe not men.

Longbourn

Longbourn by Jo Baker tells the story of the servants in the Bennet household of Pride & Prejudice. It was a bit slow going at first, and for me it lacked a lot of Austen's humor, but overall I enjoyed it. Longbourn focuses on Sarah, one of the housemaids, and her romantic travails. I think if you like Austen and books inspired by Austen and/or Downton Abbey, you will enjoy it. It did take an unexpected turn at one point that I didn't really care for, but it was necessary at that point to get to the ending everyone probably expects.

No comments:

Post a Comment