Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Salon - 5/4/14

This week marked only the second week of my return to book blogging and already I am behind. I started the Whole30 diet on Monday, and my body has been in revolt. I feel awful, and if it doesn't get better soon, I will have to drop out. I started this to try to fix all the problems I had been having, but right now things are just worse, much worse.

This week in reading I finished two books:

Flight Behavior

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver tells the story of what happens when monarch butterflies decide to overwinter in the Appalachian mountains instead of in Mexico. They alight on the property of Bear and Hester Turnbow and their son and daughter-in-law Cub and Dellarobia Turnbow. The audiobook is narrated by Barbara Kingsolver, and I was thoroughly enchanted by her narration. 

Radiance of Tomorrow

Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah tells the story of two teachers, Benjamin and Bockarie, who are living in a small town in Sierra Leone after the war ends and their struggle to make a life for themselves and their families. Beah uses figurative language that evokes his mother tongue and its expressiveness.

More on what I'll be reading this week tomorrow. My boys had 9 games this weekend (plus 1 forfeit), which makes for a tired and slightly sunburnt mama!







No comments:

Post a Comment