Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday, April 12th


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke & the Bookish. This week's Top Ten Tuesday theme is "Top Ten Books Every X Should Read", where X is supplied by the list maker. If you look below, you will see that I removed the "top" from my list. I am tempted to make it "might want to" instead of "should". My list is in no way definitive.

Ten Books Every Feminist Should Consider Reading

The Classics

The Handmaid's TaleThe Color PurpleThe Awakening

1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
2. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
3. The Awakening by Kate Chopin

A Couple Recent Nonfiction

Bad FeministWe Should All Be Feminists
4. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
5. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Rest in no particular order

The Round HouseWhen She WokeThe Buddha in the Attic
RubyLuckiest Girl Alive

6. The Round House by Louise Erdrich
7. When She Woke by Hilary Jordan
8. The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
9. Ruby by Cynthia Bond
10. The Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

What would you add to the list?

5 comments:

  1. I want to add I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. I am not sure what I would take off, but I am seriously lacking a world perspective on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on the topic! I haven't read any of these, but a couple are my TBR list. Here's my TTT: http://www.anovelglimpse.com/2016/04/12/top-ten-tuesday-twenty-books-every-reader-new-to-the-new-adult-genre-should-read/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handmaid and Awakening were on my list too! And The Buddha in the Attic is definitely on my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the 1st three books from your post and will have to check out the rest of them!


    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2016/04/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-every-russian.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list, because I love some good feminist literature. I'll admit to not being a fan of The Awakening, but the rest of the books on here are golden! If I had to add anyone, I think I'd add Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider, which I fell in love with a couple years ago.

    My TTT: http://brownbooksandgreentea.com/2016/04/12/clearing-the-shelf-for-arc-april/

    ReplyDelete